In my previous article “Day – 19” , I have written about the Web Links Manager. Today I will write about the next component menu under Web links – Web Link Category Manager. Let start with the definition of web link category manager.
What is Web Link Category Manager?
The Web Links Category Manager is where you can edit existing Web Links Categories and create new ones. Note that Web Links Categories are separate from other Categories, such as for Articles, Banners, News Feeds, and Contacts. From this screen, you can also navigate to the Web Links Manager screen.
How to Access
Select Components → Web Links → Categories from the drop-down menu on the Back-end of your Joomla installation, or select the “Categories” link at the Web Links Manager screen.
Click on the column heading to sort the list by that column’s value.
- #. An indexing number automatically assigned by Joomla! for ease of reference.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Title. The name of the item. For a Menu Item, the Title will display in the Menu. For an Article, Section, or Category, the Title may optionally be displayed on the web page. This entry is required. You can open the item for editing by clicking on the Title.
- Published. Whether the item has been published or not. You can change the Published state by clicking on the icon in this column.
- Order. The order in which to display the items. If the list is sorted by this column, you can change the order by clicking the arrows or by entering the sequential order and clicking the ‘Save Order’ icon in the column header.
- Access Level. Who has access to this item. Current options are:
- Public: Everyone has access
- Registered: Only registered users have access
- Special: Only users with author status or higher have access
You can change an item’s Access Level by clicking on the icon in the column.
- ID. The ID number. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, for example in internal links. You can not change this number.
- Display #. The number of items to display on one page. If there are more items than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons (Start, Prev, Next, End, and page numbers) to navigate between pages. Note that if you have a large number of items, it may be helpful to use the Filter options, located above the column headings, to limit which items display (where applicable).
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
- Publish. To publish one or more items, select them and click on this button.
- Unpublish. To unpublish one or more items, select them and click on this button.
- Delete. To delete one or more items, select them and click this button. The selected items will be deleted. Note: only empty items can be deleted.
- Edit. Select one item and click on this button to open it in edit mode. If you have more than one item selected (where applicable), the first item will be opened. You can also open an item for editing by clicking on its Title or Name.
- New. Click on this button to create a new item. You will enter the New page for this item.
- Help. Opens this Help Screen.
Web Links Link
At the top left, above the Filter, you will see two links as shown above in figure.
- Links. Press this link to go to the Web Links Manager page.
- Categories This link is disabled, since we are already in the Categories page.
Filter by Partial Title
You can filter the list of items either by entering in part of the title or the ID number. You can also select a Published State.
- Filter. In the upper left corner just above the column headings is a Filter field and two buttons, as shown above in figure.
- If you have a large number of items on the list, you can use this filter to find the desired item(s) quickly. Enter either part of the title or an ID number and press ‘Go’ to display the matching items. You can enter in whole words or part of a word. For example, “ooml” will match all titles with the word “Joomla” in them.
Filter by Published State In the upper right area, above the column headings, is a drop-down list box as shown above in figure.
Select State. Use the drop-down list box to select the published state: Published or Unpublished. For Articles, you may also select Archived.