Yesterday I wrote about Global Check – In in article Day-26. Today I will write on Cache Manager next to Global Check – In under tools , What is Cache Manager and how it works. Let’s start with the definition of Cache Manager.
What is Cache Manager?
Click on Tools menu at backend and you will see Cache Manager in sub menu. Click on this menu.
The Cache Manager allows you to delete the Cache files from your web server. Cache files are temporary files that are created to improve the performance of your site. If you have made significant changes to your web site, such as changing your Template or Language, your cache files may be out of date. To avoid any problems caused by out of date cache files, you can delete all of the cache files. This will cause Joomla! to create new copies of these files that will be current with your web site.
As shown in above figure , there are column headers #, CheckBox, Cahce Group etc. Am going to explain in detail .
- #. An indexing number automatically assigned by Joomla! for ease of reference.
- Checkbox. You can use this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. You can also use edit option.
- Cache Group. This is type of item being cached in this file. This is also the name of the subdirectory where this type of cache file is stored. The cache files are stored in the directory “<path-to-Joomla!>/cache/<Cache Group Name>”.
- Number of Files. The number of files currently in this cache group.
- Size. The total size, in KB, of the cache files in this group.
- Display #. The will display number of items on one page. If there are more items than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons (Start, Prev, Next, End, and page numbers) to navigate between pages.
On the top right corner you will see toolbar at back end as shown in below figure:
- Delete. To delete one or more items, select them and click this button. The selected items will be deleted. Note: only empty items can be deleted.
- Help. Opens this Help Screen.
There is also two links on top left side : Site and Administrator as shown in figure:
- Site. This will open the Site tab. This is the default tab and allows you to see the cache files for the Front-end of the web site.
- Administrator. This tab allows you to see the cache files for the Back-end of the web site.