Despite the fact that PC hardware is even cheaper, majority of people are still working on legacy kind of computers. The computers having very less disk space and RAM can be used in such a way that you get the best without adding much to your PC. I have taken the tips out of the article published on CNN.com, Full details are give at the end of the article. Here are a few tips on using the old PC to get the best performance:
- Keep the hardware drivers updated, most of the times its free and can be updated from the manufacturer’s website.
- Try to minimize the load on your desktop. Move as many of your softwares and utilities to web as possible. This takes fewer resources from your PC.
- Access your mails from web instead of downloading on desktop.
- You can store much of your data on Google drives. This saves your hard disk space.
- Use Google docs for whatever you want. Why use pirated softwares or purchase costly softwares like MS Office when you can use all the softwares for free. Also it’s extremely easy to share the documents among different users.
- Use Firefox or Chrome. These are much faster and less vulnerable as compared to Internet Explorer. Moreover these are free.
- Keeping data off your PC like on USB external hard drives is much better for performance reasons. Many websites give you very economical backup services.
- For music/videos use subscription services or free services instead of downloading everything on hard drives. This gives access to much vast repository of resources.
- Instead of selling of your old PC monitor, go for one more monitor. That will be much better option and you have more viewable area.
If you still want more and some compelling reasons, read this article: How to squeeze the most from your computer by Chris Pirillo, the president of Lockergnome.com. Â You will be amazed how insightfully the author has presented the above ideas.