The main aim of Six Sigma is to go beyond problem solving in an organization. In broad terms the problem solving is defined as meeting challenges. This helps the system to be in equilibrium. At its core Six Sigma working methodology proposes to reduce the variations in the processes and increase profitability. This way both customers and organizations mutually benefit from each other.
Information Flow Diagrams
The teams selected in Six Sigma organizations find consistent approaches which can be repeated again and again when a problem arises. The problems are also referred to as concerns and opportunities. For this purpose information flow diagrams and their knowledge helps a lot.
The major components1 of information flow diagrams are:
- Sensory Inputs
Six Sigma Problem Solving Steps
The following are the steps1 to solve problems according to Six Sigma.
- Think about all phases of problem.
- Select the subareas of problem to be solved.
- Think of all possible data which can help in problem solving process.
- Select the data sources.
- Think of all of the possibilities which can contribute to problem.
- Think of which ideas can lead to the solution of the problem.
- List all of the possible ways with which we can test our solutions.
- Select the best ways to carryout testing.
- Finally decide about the final answer.
Six Sigma The Road To Continual Improvement
Six Sigma concepts lead organizations to process optimization. The following are some of the areas where improvement1 is expected:
- Eliminate the waste of waiting
- Minimize inventory
- Eliminate overproduction
- Eliminate correction (repair)
- Minimize material movement
- Eliminate wasted processing
- Utilize the best-known method
- Simplify the process
- Optimize the system
- Improve flexibility
- Provide consistent direction
- Focus on the process
- Reduce variation
- Improve uptime
- Improve understanding
- Reduce cost
- Improve quality
- Eliminate bottlenecks or constraints
1â€œSix Sigma and Beyond: Problem Solving and Basic Mathematicsâ€ By D. H. Stamatis